Doug Gray, PCC, is a Leadership Consultant and Executive Coach.
Coaching and Consulting Experience
Since 1997, Doug has partnered with hundreds of executive leaders in the Healthcare, Energy, Manufacturing, IT, Construction and Financial industries. He is quick to say that he has “just enough expertise to support leaders, without too much complicating industry-specific knowledge.” His clients agree. Doug typically uses customized assessments to assess organizational and individual strengths. A popular speaker and facilitator, Doug loves to facilitate experiential leadership training programs and strategic planning retreats. His recent speaking topics include “How to Apply Positive Psychology to your Business” and “How to Increase Employee Engagement.”
Doug knows how to manage and lead teams. Doug brings a unique background as an educator, administrator, and non-profit director to his clients. That background enables him to help leaders who are passionate and need his direct, supportive expertise. He is regarded as an expert facilitator using Action Learning methodology. And he will bring strategic focus, humor, and proven expertise to maximize your consulting investment.
A representative list of leadership coaching engagements and clients include:
- CFO and 20 leaders in finance and accounting, Fortune 500 energy construction company, who needed to embrace a redesign without losing productivity
- team of EVPs tasked with redesigning the IT needs of their F100 healthcare company
- MD struggling with burnout who needed confidential consulting (e.g. anonymity from his employer and insurer)
- CEO in a technology company recently promoted to replace the founder
- President and 18 members of executive leadership team, Fortune 500 energy construction company, who needed to demonstrate alignment within 6 months
- SVP and site managers at a nuclear power construction site who needed to increase alignment with business partners and avoid negative media
- SVP in functional but de-centralized group who needed to assimilate 20 leaders, using action learning methodology in direct meetings, coaching, and SharePoint to drive accountability
- Small business owner of a franchise who needed to fire an employee after 11 years of good service
- SVP, global bank, who needed to reorganize a division
- VP, global bank, seeking career opportunities
- newly hired VP who needed to develop radical transformation of a functional group that required external coaching and team building leadership training using a customized app
- Newly promoted director who lacked interpersonal skills to manage 33 people
- Founder of an IT company who was not able to develop new business
Business/Organizational Leadership Experience
Doug has been a successful business owner since 1997; he knows the challenges and “what works.” He co-developed the Leadership Development Institute at the University of Maryland, College Park and taught there for 7 years, and he is a former adjunct faculty member at several colleges including NC State University. He directed a non-profit agency in Washington, D.C. for 9 years and grew it 900% while managing 120 people. As a former world-class athlete, Doug knows that the rigor of change requires regular support from experienced consultants, plus a dash of humor.
Education and Training
Doug’s graduate research at Dartmouth College included development of an assessment to determine risk tolerance and risk aversion. That theme of mitigating risk in business and leadership has prevailed in his continued learning from clients and colleagues in the safety, consulting, executive assessment, and leadership development industries. He is certified in the Hogan suite, DISC, several 360’s, several EI assessments, and 5 coaching certification programs. Since 2000, Doug has been a Professional Certified Coach (PCC) with the International Coaching Federation. A perpetual learner, he is a doctoral candidate at the Chicago School of Professional Psychology in Organizational Leadership. His research interests include the effect of positive psychology on business leaders, managers, and executive coaches.
Publications and Appearances
Doug loves to share his expertise as a speaker, facilitator and a writer. As a keynote speaker, he has addressed annual meetings, executive retreats, and nonprofit leaders. As a facilitator, he has partnered with clients to design experientially memorable leadership training solutions that range from boot camps to strategic off-sites to contests using customized mobile apps. As an author, he has frequently been published in journals ranging from the American Society of Safety Engineer’s Professional Safety to Financial Advisor to webinars and hundreds of guest blogs.
He is a published author of articles on leadership development, physician burnout, healthcare, analytics, safety and productivity. Doug has published two books: Passionate Action; 5 Steps to Creating Extraordinary Success in Life and Work (2007), and Adventure Coaching; A Guidebook for Action-Based Success in Life and Work (2006) that can be purchased here and here.
Consulting Value Proposition
“Developing smarter leaders. Faster.”
Doug will not waste any of your time or resources. He expects you to achieve great results. And he always guarantees exceptional value.
For biographies on other Action Learning Associates, Inc leadership consultants and executive coaches, contact us here or review the list of our partners here. We also provide scaled solutions for any-sized organization, anywhere in the world.